So without any further ado, here's my Friday Five! Favorite Summer produce!! I primarily love fruits over veggies. Though Brussels sprouts and asparagus do make my heart flutter.... :-)
Each year for my birthday, which is very much situated in the middle of the heat of summer, instead of birthday cake, I request a fruit pizza. It annoys my family, I think..as everyone else loves cake and cupcakes served with ice cream...but I want my fruit! Check out a recipe similar to my mama's here.
So my list is all fruits!
1. WATERMELON!! Being the good Southern belle that I am....Watermelon = SUMMER. I remember as a child eating slices covered in salt! (Does anyone else do that?) And picking the watermelon out of every fruit salad ever. I would eat watermelon until my stomach ached. Now I love it in any sort of summertime salad, like with arugula, feta and pecans with a balsamic dressing. Yummy!!
2. Mango! In a smoothie, in a salad, or a salsa! Always tasty. One of the first meals my boyfriend ever prepared for me was a salmon with mango salsa dish, similar to this one. So good. Sentimental and delish!
3. Citrus. Just anything citrus -y. Oranges, limes, lemons. They are all juicy and refreshing. Can't go wrong there! Plus, I love using lemons and limes in cleaning!!
4. Strawberries and blackberries. Together or separate. Though, why-oh-why must blackberries cost one million dollars?!?! I love the tartness of them. Put either or both over frozen greek yogurt for a tasty summer dessert!! Strawberries are always an easy find at our neighborhood farmers market, too. At a more reasonable price than those darn delicious blackberries!!
5. Peaches. Again, being a southern gal, I love my Georgia peaches!! (Though Alabama has some good ones too!!) Peach cobbler a la mode is definitely one of my favorite desserts of all time!!
Honorable mentions go to: grapes and kiwi!!
I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL Memorial Day holiday! My office is closing here shortly, so I'm going to head on a day date with my guy to get things started right!!
What about you? What are some of your fave fruits and veggies? Any fun recipes to share?! Link up and let us all know!!
What do you have going on for the long weekend?